Enquiry or Inquiry...

As a former Curriculum Development Leader of the Geographical Association, curriculum is something that has occupied a great deal of my time for many years. I've been following the debates over curriculum for some time, which have been developing around the idea of knowledge.
Margaret Roberts has been one of the biggest influences on my teaching for many years.
I always try to get a sense of enquiry into my lessons and wider planning.

What makes a good Geography lesson?
Margaret Roberts' resource here is a good place to start to find the answer.
In many other countries, this process is called Inquiry

The Geo Inquiry process has been explored by National Geographic.

National Geographic Education site has an extremely useful guide to download, which includes a useful diagram shown below which I've used a few times in presentations, and will be using again. It shows what we geographers 'see' when we look at a place.


I also followed some recent sessions at the NCGE conference, which involved Chris Heffernan and other colleagues using these materials.


Comments