'Classroom Geographer' journal

Having one of those pottering mornings online, where I could easily look up in several hours and see that it's gone dark outside…
Just following some leads from a conversation I was having about overhead projectors, and what we used to do with them in the classroom in the days before 'interactive' whiteboards.

I went into the archive of 'Teaching Geography', which is handled via JSTOR, and available to all subscribers of 'Teaching Geography' journal, and found the article I remembered using back then to use acetates to teach about contours, and also about the movement of mid-latitude depressions across the UK.

I remember having a roll of acetate, which was where I stored diagrams I needed to use several times.
When I worked for the Geographical Association, I also explored the warehouse where there was a wealth of older resources like this.
I noticed on one of the pages of the journal that I looked at that there was an ad for a journal for 'Classroom Geographer', which was self-published by Neil and Yvonne Sealey from Luton.
I discovered some more about this journal in an article by Jo Norcup. It talked about the Sealey's work before they retired to the Caribbean where it seems they carried on writing textbooks on the Geography of that area for some time.

I'd love to see some copies of this journal, but found out little more from some searching online. Just following up some leads via the Academia website.

Does anyone have any copies or now more about it?

Comments

David Lambert said…
I recall *Classroom Geographer* very well. Rex Walford, my PGCE tutor in 1973-4, insisted we all read it. I recall a great article by John Bale on "How to overturn a discipline, again". It is where I first published anything.
But alas, I do not have any copies. It would be great to find a collection.
The GA first published *Teaching Geography* in 1974 ... and that was the end of Classroom Geographer.
Alan Parkinson said…
Hi David
All being well, I am getting a full set from the creator, and am planning to write up an article for TG on it. They will then be available to go into an archive. Hoping to get that sorted in time for next April's conference.
Thanks for the comment.