Music as Geography...

A topic I've explored at intervals for some years now...

Jan Garbarek talked about the way that he collaborated with the Hilliard Ensemble. I had the great fortune to see them last night on their farewell tour and it was fairly astonishing...

Radio 4: Front Row
Miles Davis and John Coltrane

"For me, music is very often a matter of space with an emotion in it... it can be a large space with a cold feeling or a small space ... I just listen to the sound in the room and try to blend in..."

What was particularly great was to watch Jan prowling around the Octagon with his sax, trying the acoustics in various locations as well as improvising over the Ensemble... The end of a musical era... and I was so pleased to have the chance to thank them in person as I left through the side door...

Comments

Unknown said…
I loved this post!!