South Yorkshire Way

I'm not from Norfolk, although I have now lived for more than half my life in the county, and enjoy living here very much...
My home county is South Yorkshire.
A new long distance footpath is due to open in April 2014 called the South Yorkshire Way.
It passes through my home village, which I coincidentally visited last weekend when I was up in Sheffield working at the GA for a few days.

I thought that it might make a useful project for students to design the route of a footpath around a particular county where the school was located, or alternatively one that has been allocated to them. Digimap for Schools would be a great tool to use for this task, or perhaps ArcGIS Online in the form of a Story Map...

Coincidentally, one of the projects I'm currently involved in is updating the resources that are on the Digimap for Schools website in the light of various changes that have taken place to the curriculum and exam specifications, and also to respond to user feedback and actual changes on the ground or through time.

Yorkshire will also be at the centre of things in July next year when the Grand Depart of the Tour de France comes through Yorkshire. I've just ordered my shirt so that I'm ready... and intend to create some resources around that for use next year in my new job...

View from the footbridge at Wickersley School.
Image: Alan Parkinson



P.S: Happy Yorkshire Day for the 1st of August...

Comments