Register and Read

Take advantage of a new feature on the JSTOR ARCHIVE.
This is a huge online store of academic and journal articles.

There is usually a fee for downloading PDF copies of articles. This is something that is the mainstay of a lot of academic research, and universities will enable access to this archive for students, particularly via university libraries. In the old days (when I did my degree) there was a library loan service, where I would wait several days (or weeks) before a photocopy of an old academic paper that I needed for my research appeared in my pigeon hole - now articles can be accessed within seconds.

The REGISTER and READ scheme allows readers to sign up for JSTOR, and they can then read articles online, but cannot download or print them. Over 1200 journals are part of the scheme (less than the total) and there are other restrictions.
I registered (for free) and found quite a few geographical journals were available (over 300 000 in fact), including 'Geography'.
Register and Read provides a 'bookshelf' with 3 slots - each article selected must stay on the shelf for 14 days before it is removed, so choose your articles carefully. 
Nonetheless a good research tool for free...

Comments