Shush....

I am not good with noise.... particularly when trying to sleep. I am a fairly light sleeper and try to block out any noise with earplugs - a lot of research goes into choosing hotels to avoid noisy areas as much as possible. I love living where I do, which has wonderful peace and quiet at night...

This article in the New York Times appealed to me, especially the images of the sound catcher...
It also seems that sound pollution is not a new phenomenon.

Soundscapes are becoming a regular part of fieldwork, with sounds marked on a CD sometimes with the direction and intensity of the sounds that can be heard. They also form part of our Mission:Explore

“Humans are becoming an increasingly more urban species, and so we’re surrounding ourselves with concrete and buildings” and “the low hum of the urban landscape. We’re kind of severing the acoustic link that humans have with nature.”

Comments