Bob's 100% British

Driving along the A47 a few days ago, I noticed a burger van by the side of the road called "Bob's 100% British"
(names have been changed to protect the innocent...)

I have blogged about these roadside vans and cafes earlier, back in August 2010, when I described an excellent photo project by Sam Mellish.
They are an important part of British culture - my journeys up and down the A17 to Sheffield, I pass about half a dozen of these vans, and there's usually someone pulled up having a burger or cup of tea...
Image made available under Creative Commons license by Flickr user macspite (Robert Soar)

It occurred to me as I was driving along that a good project for a group of students exploring connections would be to consider the way that the van is connected with other places, and not just those that the road they are next to leads to and from.
There are global connections to be made, from the fuel being used to cook the hot dogs, to the cans of Coca Cola in the coolbox. There are the customers and the lorries which are carrying products the length and breadth of the country. What other connections can you make ?

If I was starting a roadside cafe, I'd call it "Al's Kitchen"...

Comments

Angus Willson said…
I always puszle over the connection between "biscuits and flowers" at the road-side van on the A41 in Shropshire.
Alan Parkinson said…
A bit like the way people who can mend shoes are apparently also really good at cutting keys...